The social media these days have become a voice for us. In the recent times Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have created buzz. Many artists come and showcase their talents on Instagram platform. Recently small artists from India like @artwhoring (Priyanka Paul) from Mumbai and @kalmuhi_ (Pranjali Dubey) from Ahemdabad, are drawing comics as well as using patriarchal words to define womenhood.

‘Kalmuhi’, ‘Whore’, ‘Feminazi’. Call us what you will.

It is very much clear from their Instagram account that these ladies aren’t afraid to use such words. They are redefining the ‘sexist’ tags denoted to women.

please shut the fuck up #feminism #feminazi #doodle #doodles #sketch #digitalart #art #illustration

A post shared by kalmuhi (@kalmuhi_) on

i was walking on the road with red lipstick on and they looked. i was walking on the road with a skirt ending just above my knee and they looked. i was walking with a top with a plunging neckline and they looked. i was walking with a bra on with its strap slightly off and they looked. i was walking with my cleavage showing and they looked. i was walking on the road with no lipstick on and they looked. i was walking on the road with a skirt ending right at the ankle and they looked. i was walking with a top with a turtle neckline and they looked. i was walking with a bra on with its strap properly tucked in place and they looked. i was walking with a dupatta over my cleavage and they looked. i was walking and they just looked. no amount of staring back or asking what the fuck do they want helps because they got eyes. and the perverted mind needs what it needs. its sad that at this point we’re desensitized to the gaze and we know no better way than to just ignore it. if only gouging the eyeballs out was a fair act of justice.

A post shared by kalmuhi (@kalmuhi_) on

Don’t wanna set into the mold!

When The Quint asked Pranjali Dubey about what does ‘Kalmuhi’ (her virtual name) means and what is her motive behind this art, to which she replied:

Kalmuhi is a term that stands for any woman who breaks the rules and goes against the norms, who doesn’t fit into the socially assigned mould. Kalmuhi is a space that I have created for us, the norm-breaking women, to discuss ‘tabooed’ topics, including periods, sex, and mental disorders.

Pranjali Dubey, @kalmuhi_

While recollecting one incident Pranjali said:

Two days ago, a young girl texted me saying that she went to the temple on her period after seeing my doodle and the sky did not fall. It made me so happy. This is what I want to achieve through my art. I want young people to ask questions and help mend society at the places where it’s broken.

Pranjali Dubey, @kalmuhi_

There is no such thing as petty job!

The Quint asked Priyanka also about her Instagram username ‘Artwhoring’ and in the conversation she replied:

Prostitution was once practiced in India without the unnecessary stigma. It is now looked down upon and sex workers aren’t given the required government attention. Art as a career choice is also often looked down upon. ‘Artwhoring’ brings the two together and, to me, it signifies dignity of labour.

Priyanka Paul, @artwhoring

Omg robert???? Geez. Wouldn’t blame you though. Sanitary napkins are a necessity NOT a LUXURY. With about 14.5% taxes on sanitary napkins in some states of India, sanitary napkins are rendered further inaccessible. With only 12% of Indian women having access to sanitary napkins and the rest 88% having to use unhygienic and unsafe means, we honestly need sanitary napkins to be subsidised. But maybe removing taxation, including sanitary napkins as essential commodities under the Essential Commodities Act and making sanitary napkins available in Public toilets, government offices and educational institutions are the steps we should start with. A series made for Boondh (@boondhcups) #LahuKaLagaan #Blood #Menstruation #Periods #SanitaryNapkin #Menstrual #MenstrualHygiene #Women #Taxation #Feminism #Necessity #Luxury #SheSays #ArunJaitley #NecessityNotLuxury #Draw #Illustration #DigitalArt #Girls #Tampon #Perioders

A post shared by Priyanka Paul (@artwhoring) on

Discussing about her goals she said:

With my art, I hope to convey the need to analyse the accepted social systems and to re-evaluate all that is wrong in the society. I hope my art questions the status quo and provides a voice to the unheard. The strongest hope that I have for my art is that it informs, educates, and (if possible) empowers.

Priyanka Paul, @artwhoring

These artists are trying to change the game through their powerful words and comics. The words like slut or hoe comes with the burden which people deny to admit. The matter should be handled with care and awareness should spread.

Be lil sensitive!

Comments

comments