Preparation of virgin mojito involves adding lime juice, sugar syrup and mint leaves in a serving glass. With the help of a muddler or spoon this mixture is gently crushed to lightly bruise the mint leaves so that the essential oils are released.
• 8 mint leaves.
• 1-2 tsp. sugar
• 1-2 medium sized lime.
• ½ oz. /15 ml simple syrup.
• Club soda, ginger ale or lemon-lime soda
• 4 oz./120ml apple juice, pink grapefruit juice, or strawberry puree (optional)
1. The first and most essential task is to muddle the mint. In case you don’t have a muddler, you can use a wooden spoon instead. Also make sure if you are using a muddler it should be made of unfinished wood to avoid the finish getting into your drink.
2. Take a sturdy glass and place the mint at the bottom. Add the sugar to help ease the muddling process. Do not use an easily breakable, delicate or thin glass. Separate the leaves and stems before adding them as the stem adds bitterness. Prefer using spearmint for mojito but in other cases you can also use peppermint or pineapple mint for various flavours.
3. Use the muddler or spoon to gently twist the mint leaves a few times. Do not crush the leaves in order to prevent the chlorophyll spill. Chlorophyll is another bitter substance that no one would like to be a part of their virgin mojito.
4. As soon as you can smell the mint smell stop muddling. The muddling process releases the required fragrance and oil to make the mojito tastier. The oil from leaves seep into the sugar adding on to the taste part.
5. You can use your hands to muddle the leaves too.
6. Add the lime and simple syrup to the glass.
7. Fill the glass with ice to min 3/4th to have the perfect coolant effect for your mojito drink.
8. Now the final step is to fill the glass with club soda.
Here is your virgin mojito ready by following these simple 8 steps.
[iframe class=”post-video-frame” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/5DW0t34Lr5Y” width=”100%” allowfullscreen=”true”]