On June 25, 1983, the famous Lord’s Cricket Ground witnessed the Indian national men’s team beat the twice over World Champions West Indies. This put India back onto the cricket world stage. The film was released on 24th Dec in over an estimated 5,000 screens throughout the world in 5 different languages: Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu.
83 is a 2021 Indian Hindi-language sports film, it’s a biopic on India’s journey at the 1983 Cricket World Cup. Directed by Kabir Khan, it is produced by Vishnuvardhan Induri, Kabir Khan, Reliance Entertainment, Deepika Padukone, 83 Film Ltd and Sajid Nadiadwala.
The rights for producing the film was owned by Phantom Films, the producer Madhu Mantena and Induri signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) to make the official biopic with 1983 world cup squad during mid-July 2016.
The film stars the following actors:
- Ranveer Singh as cricketer Kapil Dev
- Deepika Padukone as Romi Bhatia (Kapil Dev’s wife)
- Pankaj Tripathi as PR Man Singh
- Tahir Raj Bhasin as Sunil Gavaskar
- Jiiva as Krishnamachari Srikkanth
- Saqib Saleem as Mohinder Amarnath
- Jatin Sarna as Yashpal Sharma
- Chirag Patil as Sandeep Patil
- Dinker Sharma as Kirti Azad
- Nishant Dahiya as Roger Binny
- Harrdy Sandhu as Madan Lal
- Sahil Khattar as Syed Kirmani
- Ammy Virk as Balwinder Sandhu
- Adinath Kothare as Dilip Vengsarkar
- Dhairya Karwa as Ravi Shastri
- R Badree as Sunil Valson
- Neena Gupta as Raj Kumari Nikhanj (Kapil’s mother)
- Boman Irani as Farokh Engineer
- Aditi Arya as Inderjit Bhardwaj (Mohinder’s wife)
- Satish Alekar as BR. Sheshrao Wankhede
- Wamiqa Gabbi
- Kapil Dev
- Mohinder Amarnath as Lala Amarnath
Here are the important lessons learnt from the movie:
#1. “We are here to win.”, “A prayer in every heart. A belief of millions.” – Impossible can be achieved, vision is important.
#2. “No matter what is going on in our lives. When we walk onto the pitch in our uniforms, we have only one purpose, to play for our country with all our hearts.” – The way a person conducts his duty defines him.
#3. “We may have gained our independence 35 years ago, but we haven’t yet won respect.” – Respect can’t be bought, it has to be earned.
#4. Sports bring people together.
#5. “Taste the success once, tongue wants more!” – First success is the most difficult to achieve.